Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Peace out, Facebook.


Today is an interesting anniversary of sorts for me.  It was 1 year ago today that I said bye-bye-bye (thank you 'N Sync!) to Facebook.  My personal Facebook account.


So one year ago today my life became a whole lot better.  And a whole lot easier.  I'm not going to go into the details why right now.  There's just too much to share.  That will be shared when I get to a place where I can finally share my story.  But, it was not a good time in my and our life.  So much sadness and despair.  So much anger and frustration.  And Facebook just perpetuated this.  The situation(s) was exacerbated by the mere presence of social media and all of its happenings.  It's not a good thing.  It's "Fakebook."  Not Facebook.  No one on there is real.  It's all about "keeping up with the Jones's" and "my life is better than yours" and honestly it's "everyone needs to lay off the Prozac land!"  And needs to be real!  Or at least that's how I saw it.  And I was sick of it.  So here I am one year later and I am a better person for having deleted my account.  So much better!

Occasionally I would get on Frank's account to see what Alesha was up to in Boston and look at her pictures, but that's the only connection I had.  And it was minimal!   Alesha emailed me pictures and we talked on the phone.  You know....old school!  And it made me sad to see her so far away.  So it was very minimal.  It wasn't until I started this blog that I even logged into Facebook for any reason.  And this is just to get my blog "out there" and share it with others.  That's the point of writing one after all!  Once I find a way for me to do it that works other than FB....I'll probably let it go again.  We'll see.

But, personally....Old school.  That was my philosophy and has been this entire year. And it doesn't stop here.  If you know me and we're friends, then you have my email, phone number and ways to get ahold of me.  You know how to get ahold me.  Plain and simple. Somehow prior to 2009 we all made friendships work without a little thing called Facebook!  Scary, I know!   BUT, I have done it for a year and survived.  And, I've seen who my real friends are too.  It's been eye-opening for sure.  Those who want to be my friend and have me in their life, well, they know where I am and how to get ahold of me. And they have gotten ahold of me.  They've kept in touch.  Simple as that!  So, yep, it's been an eye-opening year!  In so many ways.

So it's old-school for me.  If you need me you should know where to find me.  This crazy thing called phone (yep, cell phone works too!), email and oh, heaven forebid, stopping by!  What?  Personal contact?  That's impossible in the digital age!  Well, it's how it is. I've gone old school....and I'm not going back!

So, Happy 1 year Facebook-Free to Me!  And I'm a better person for it.   Trust me. 





Until next time.....Facebook-Free one year and counting....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved